Committees & Work Groups - Restoration
The New York-New Jersey Harbor & Estuary Program’s Restoration Work Group was formed in 2012, assuming the function of the Habitat Work Group, and charged with steering the development and implementation of the Hudson Raritan Estuary Comprehensive Restoration Plan (endorsed by the NY-NJ Harbor & Estuary Program in 2009 as a pathway forward to restoring the harbor). The Group also steers the Program’s research and actions relevant to HEP priorities that concern restoration, acquisition, species, or habitat identified in the NY-NJ Harbor & Estuary Program Action Plan, Comprehensive Conservation and Management Plan, and Comprehensive Restoration Plan. Members of the group include Non-Governmental, City, State, and Federal representatives with expertise in habitat restoration, preservation and public access. The Restoration Work Group is responsible for developing strategy, providing direction to, and tracking habitat restoration, public access, and acquisition efforts of the Program and its participants as they relate to the Comprehensive Restoration Plan. The Work Group is also responsible for making funding decisions related to habitat restoration and acquisition projects supported by the Program, and is available to participate in an advisory capacity to funding or mitigation decisions. Regular meetings are posted on the Program calendar and are open to observers. In addition, the Restoration Work Group organizes a Restoration Conference, which is a public, annual event highlighting restoration, acquisition, and public access efforts and advancement throughout the harbor estuary.
For more information, contact the NY-NJ Harbor & Estuary Program Restoration Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-637-3869 or the Restoration Work Group Chair, Lisa Baron, (U.S. Army Corps of Engineers) at 917-790-8306. Also, see the Interactive Habitat Site Map via the Harbor & Estuary Program's Habitat page.
Note: Click on any of the sections below to expand their items/details
1] Membership ›
In addition to the NY-NJ Harbor & Estuary Program staff, members of the Restoration Work Group include representatives from State and Federal agencies, New York City, and Non-Governmental Organizations that have direct responsibility for the activities described above. Each Agency, Organization, Program, or individual not affiliated with an entity will have one vote each. These members are appointed by the agencies and groups that participate in the Work Group (see below). Current member organizations and representatives or alternates include:
New York-New Jersey Harbor & Estuary Program/Hudson River Foundation ( Rob Pirani/Kate Boicourt)
United States Army Corps of Engineers (Lisa Baron, Chair/Peter Weppler)
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (Carl Alderson)
Port Authority of New York & New Jersey (Rosalie Siegel)
New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (Grace Jacob, Ruth Ehinger)
New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (Steve Zahn)
New York City Department of Parks & Recreation (Marit Larson)
New York City Department of Environmental Protection (John McLaughlin)
New York/New Jersey Baykeeper (Debbie Mans)
The Hudson River Foundation (Jim Lodge)
The Trust for Public Land (Marc Matsil/Richard Palumbo)
The National Park Service (Hanem Abouelezz)
- The Nature Conservancy (Andrew Peck)
2] Restoration Documents ›
- Restoring the New York-New Jersey Harbor Estuary: Progress 2009-2014 and charting the path forward (December 2015) | PDF
- Restoration Work Group description and bylaws | PDF
- Final Report: Saw Mill River Daylighting (Sept 2010) | PDF
- In support of the Comprehensive Restoration Plan, HEP is requesting proposals for restoration planning focused on Tributary Connections. Proposals are due October 22, 2010. | Click Here
- Use this form to nominate a new site for restoration or public access for the Comprehensive Restoration Plan | PDF
- Comprehensive Restoration Plan for the New York-New Jersey Harbor Estuary, March 2009 | Click Here
- Harbor Herons Conservation Plan (May 2010) | PDF (1.5 MB)
- New York City Audubon's Harbor Herons Project:
2008 Interim Nesting Survey (December 10, 2008) | PDF (1.5 MB)
- Proceedings of the Harbor Herons Annual Subcommittee Meeting:
Greater New York/New Jersey Harbor Colonial Waterbirds Working Group
(December 11-12, 2008) | PDF
- Guide to Harbor Herons and other colonial water birds of the NY-NJ Harbor Estuary | PDF (1.5 MB)
- A GIS Approach To Habitat Restoration Site Selection And Prioritization In The New York-New Jersey Harbor Estuary, Kelly Kunert, Master's thesis, Nicholas School of the Environment and Earth Sciences, Duke University, 2005 | Click Here
- Habitat Quality in the New York/New Jersey Harbor Estuary: An Evaluation of Pier Effects on Fishes. Final report to Hudson River Foundation. K.W. Able, Rutgers Univ., A.L. Studholme, NOAA/NMFS/NEFSC, and J.P. Manderson, Rutgers Univ. December 1995.
- New York Bight Restoration Plan
Final New York Bight Restoration Plan. March 1993.
Phase III Report. Interim Report to Congress, Jan. 1992.
Phase II Report. Preliminary Report and Work Plan, Aug. 1990.
Public Responsiveness Document. Attachment 8. August 1990.
Issues for Public Discussion - Phase II. Attachment 7. November 1989.
Public Responsiveness Document. Attachment VI. April 1989.
Phase I Report. Preliminary Report and Work Plan, April 1989.
Issues for Public Discussion. Attachment V. Nov. 1988.
- Habitat Quality in the New York-New Jersey Harbor Estuary: An Evaluation of Pier Effects on Fishes. 1993 Progress report to Hudson River Foundation. K.W. Able, Rutgers Univ. and A.L. Studholme, NOAA/NMFS/NEFSC, 1993.
- Inventory and Characterization of Habitat and Fish Resources and Assessment of Information on Toxic Effects in the NY-NJ Harbor Estuary. P.M.J. Woodhead, SUNY Stony Brook, May 1991. | PDF (6.8 MB file)
- Fish and Wildlife Populations and Habitat Status and Trends in the New York Bight. Dynamac, Inc. New York Bight Restoration Plan, Phase III Report, Attachment 5. September 1991. | PDF (6.5 MB file)
- Habitat Related Issues and Existing Programs. New York Bight Restoration Plan, Phase II Report, Attachment 5. June 1990.
- Nearshore Wildlife Habitats and Populations in the NY-NJ Harbor Estuary. D.F. Squires, et al., Univ. of Connecticut, Nov. 1990. | PDF
- An Analysis of Federal and State Habitat Protection Programs in the NY Bight and Adjacent Areas (Strawman). Dynamac and E.M. Flatow, Nov. 1990.
- Shell Disease of Crustaceans in the New York Bight: A Report Prepared by a Working Group on Shell Disease. New York Bight Restoration Plan, Phase I Report, Attachment II. April 1989.
3] Restoration Meetings ›
Restoration Workgroup Documents
- Public Information Meetings on Hudson-Raritan Estuary Comprehensive Restoration Plan in May and June 2010 | PDF
- Draft Final Feasibility Report for Rahway Fish Passage. January 2009 | PDF
- Draft Recommendations for Improving Compensatory Habitat Mitigation in
the NY-NJ Harbor Estuary | PDF
- November 18, 2015
- A Protocol to Assess the Habitat Value of Shorelines in the Harbor Estuary – Phase I results and next steps | PDF
- Comprehensive Restoration Plan site nominations:
- The Natural Areas Conservancy | PDF
- NY/NJ Baykeeper | PDF
- CIVITAS | PDF
- June 25, 2015 | PDF
- March 23, 2015 | PDF
- EPA Wetland Program Development Grant 2014 | PDF
- Natural Areas Conservancy | PDF
- October 6, 2014 | PDF
- March 12, 2014 | PDF
- July 7, 2013 | PDF
- February 6, 2013 | PDF
- July 18, 2012 | PDF
- March 21, 2012 | PDF
- February 1, 2012 | PDF
- December 7, 2011 | PDF
- October 24, 2011 | PDF
- July 27, 2011 | PDF
- March 14, 2011 | PDF
- December 9, 2010 | PDF
- November 3, 2010 | PDF
- August 30, 2010 | PDF
- January 11, 2010 | PDF
- July 7, 2009 | PDF
- January 17, 2007 | PDF
- September 12, 2006 | PDF
- April 11, 2006 | PDF
- January 19, 2006 | PDF
- November 3, 2005 | PDF
- August 31, 2005 | PDF
- June 22, 2005 | PDF
- April 27, 2005 | PDF
- January 27, 2005 | PDF
- May 17, 2004 | PDF
- January 27, 2004 | PDF
- September 16, 2003 | PDF
- July 15, 2003 | PDF
- May 20, 2003 | PDF
- March 12, 2003 | PDF
- January 23, 2003 | PDF
- December 5, 2002 | PDF
- October 30, 2002 | PDF
- September 12, 2002 | PDF
- July 24, 2002 | PDF
- June 27, 2002 | PDF
- May 2, 2002 | PDF
- March 7, 2002 | PDF
- January 10, 2002 | PDF
- December 12, 2001 | PDF
- November 13, 2001 | PDF
- August 23, 2001 | PDF
- July 19, 2001 | PDF
- February 28, 2001 | PDF
- February 21, 2001 | PDF
- January 24, 2001 | PDF
- October 19, 2000 | PDF
- December 18, 2000 | PDF